The Acropolis Museum invites you to a festive season full of activities during December 2019. Creative mobile workshops for children, gallery talks for adults, Christmas music from the Jazz Octet, famous musical songs from the S.T.A.B. saxophone quartet and special gifts at the Acropolis Museum Shops, will offer visitors moments of joy and celebration.
Festive stories | Children’s workshops | 6-11 years old
What kind of festivals did the ancient Athenians have and for which were the children looking forward to participating?
Let’s discover them at the Acropolis Museum and bring to life the emotions that these feasts were giving birth to children and adults. We will create festive sets and happy compositions that will uniquely adorn the Museum.
- Days & hours: Saturday 21/12, Sunday 22/12, Saturday 28/12 & Sunday 29/12, 11 a.m., 1 p.m. & 5 p.m. in Greek only
- Duration: 90 mins
- Ages: 6-11 years old
- Participacion: Participation for children is free. A general admission fee (5€) is required for parents/escorts
- Reservations: For registration, please refer to the Information Desk at the Museum entrance on the same day. First-in first-served (25 children per workshop)
The workshops are held by the Department of Educational Programs – Acropolis Museum and the Department of Information & Education – Acropolis Restoration Service (YSMA).
The lost statue of Athena Parthenos | gallery talks
The Acropolis Museum brings to life, digitally, the statue of Athena Parthenos. Made of gold and ivory, this masterpiece was designed by Phidias for the Parthenon. The Museum invites you on a walk of knowledge about its construction materials and techniques, its myths and allegories, its radiance and its adventures.
- Days & hours: Saturday 7/12, Saturday 14/12, Saturday 21/12 & Saturday 28/12, at 11 a.m. in English and at 1 p.m. in Greek
- Duration: 50 mins
- Participation: The gallery talk is free of charge. Only the permanent exhibition ticket is required (5€). Limited to 30 visitors per session. For registration, please refer to the Information Desk at the Museum entrance on the same day. First-in first-served.
Chisel and memory | gallery talks
Visitors will have the opportunity to attend presentations of an exceptional exhibition of photographs of the marble craftsmen of the Acropolis at work. The temporary exhibition “Chisel and memory. The contribution of marble craftsmanship to the restoration of the Acropolis monuments” was organized by the Committee for the Conservation of the Acropolis Monuments and the Acropolis Restoration Service (YSMA).
- Days & hours: Saturday 14/12, Saturday 21/12 & Saturday 28/12, at 12 noon
- Duration: 40 mins
- Participation: The gallery talk is free of charge. Limited to 25 visitors per session. For registration, please refer to the Information Desk at the Museum entrance on the same day. First-in first-served.
Music and carols at the Acropolis Museum
- On Sunday 22 December, at 12 noon, the Acropolis Museum will host the Jazz Octet of the Athens Military Guard for a music concert at the Museum ground floor, including jazz and Christmas world renowned melodies.
- On Sunday 29 December, at 12 noon, the Acropolis Museum will host the well-known S.T.A.B. saxophone quartet for a New Year’s music concert at the Museum ground floor, including renowned musical songs.
- On Tuesday 31 December, at 12 noon, the Association of Asia Minor “Nees Kydonies” will sing traditional New Year’s carols at the Museum ground floor.
The Acropolis Museum charm for 2020 | shops
According to myth the tortoise won the race over the hare, the former with his patience and dedication winning over the flippant self confidence of the hare. The ancients considered that the benevolent tortoise protected them from the evil eye and that its blood was an antidote to poison. A tortoise lead weight featuring a tortoise in relief of the 3rd to 1st century BC inspired the Museum’s charm of 2020. You can see the original exhibit in showcase 2 (no.11) of the Gallery of the Slopes at the Acropolis Museum.
Festive meals and jazz melodies | restaurant
During the festive season, the Museum restaurant will serve traditional festive meals and sweets. Christmas jazz nights are also taking place every Friday night by famous jazz music ensembles. For reservations please contact the restaurant during Museum opening hours on +30 210 9000915.